Meta unveiled a highly optimized device for processing video for live-streaming, video on demand (VOD), AR/VR, and AI-generated content across the Meta family of applications.
The Meta Scalable Video Processor (MSVP) is the company’s first in-house-developed ASIC solution.
The company said it intends to “eventually offload the majority of our stable and mature video processing workloads to MSVP and use software only for workloads that require specific customization and significantly higher quality.”
Each MSVP ASIC can offer a peak transcoding performance of 4K at 15fps at the highest quality configuration with 1-in, 5-out streams and can scale up to 4K at 60fps at the standard quality configuration
- Performance scales linearly with resolution.
- Performance is achieved at ~10W of PCIe module power.
- Throughput gain of ~9x for H.264 when compared against libx264 SW encoding.
- For VP9, throughput gain of ~50x when compared with libVPX speed 2 preset.
- ~9x faster throughput for H.264 compared to libx264 SW
- ~50x faster throughput for VP9 compared to libVPX speed 2