Ciena celebrated an important milestone: surpassing 100,000 modems shipped of its WaveLogic 5 Extreme (WL5e) programmable 800G technology for metro, long-haul, and submarine networks.
“To reach this milestone of 100,000 WaveLogic 5 Extreme modems shipped is hugely significant for Ciena, and a testament to both the quality of our technology and the size of our global footprint. Our pursuit to push the boundaries of optical performance is far from over, and we’re pleased to say customers have already made purchase orders for our next-generation WaveLogic 6 technology, which we’ll begin shipping next year,” stated Dino DiPerna, Senior Vice President, Global Research & Development, Ciena.
- WL5e has been shipped to more than 250 customers across 68 countries around the world.
- 100,000 WL5e modems are transmitting more than 50 Petabits/sec of data, which is equal to the entire world streaming an HD video at the same time with capacity remaining.
- The energy efficiency savings from the 100,000 WL5e modem shipments is equal to more than 82,000 metric tonnes of C02 emissions avoided annually, which is comparable to not using 9 million gallons of gasoline.
- 100,000 WL5e modems stacked on top of each other would only cover one-third of a kilometer or .22 of a mile.
- Since its introduction in 2008, the WaveLogic line of products has delivered up to 40 times more capacity over fiber and more than 90% reduction in Watts/Gbps for Ciena customers.