CignalAI has published a “Coherent at the Network Edge” report that forecasts demand for 100ZR coherent pluggables beginning in 2024 as operators upgrade to higher speeds in optical access networks.
“It was important to discuss the requirements and viability of this technology with the hardware designers and end users, not just the component manufacturers,” said Scott Wilkinson, Lead Analyst for Optical Components at Cignal AI. “We learned that dedicated QSFP28-based 100ZR modules will fill a central role in the next generation of fiber access networks.”
More key findings from the Coherent at the Network Edge Report:
- QSFP28 versions of 100ZR will win most of the access market. QSFP-DD versions based on 400ZR technology do not meet critical size and power needs at the network’s edge.
- Access network upgrades will drive 100ZR demand when Enterprise and mobile traffic coexists on the same network.
- Price is not the primary driver in situations where 100ZR is the best solution, but it must be significantly less than the current 400ZR pricing to replace 10G.
- Market demand and general availability of 100ZR components will align in 2024.
- As a result of these discussions with access hardware manufacturers, Cignal AI’s forecast for 100ZR module shipments was doubled for 2025.