Radisys introduced its MPX Operating Software (MPX-OS) as the new foundation of its media processing portfolio, including the company’s purpose-built MPX-12000 MRF platform and Software MRF.
The MPX-OS brings new capabilities for interactive service architectures, including KVM virtualization for cloud deployments, VP8 video codec for WebRTC services, and Over The Top (OTT) HD video conferencing and transcoding requirements
Radisys said the new MPX-OS provides the common media processing software foundation for current and future Radisys products and a key enabler for VoLTE, RCS and OTT services.
Key features include:
- KVM virtualization, enabling virtualized deployment on Intel multi-core services in the telecom cloud for both IMS and OTT services
- HD 720p H.264 video codec, delivering support for HD video, including HD video recording, playback and conference mixing for OTT communications and IMS MRF deployments
- Support for VP8 video codec, enabling termination of WebRTC endpoints for streaming, record and playback, or multimedia conferencing applications, or H.264 to VP8 media transcoding for WebRTC gateway applications
- AMR-WB audio codec for VoLTE, including transcoding support for interoperability between LTE and 3G mobile endpoints using different codecs
- Supports both SIP and H.248 interface on the same platform
- Virtualized media processing applications, including MPaaS (Media Processing as a Service)
“MPX-OS is an exciting development from Radisys, providing the common media processing software foundation for current and future Radisys products,” said Manish Singh, CTO, Radisys. “MPX-OS also broadens our media processing expertise into new markets, offering our application partner and service provider customers improved economics, flexibility and interoperability as they roll-out interactive communication services. And by engineering MPX-OS for virtualized deployments in the cloud, operators can deploy these services with maximized OPEX and CAPEX savings.”
“MPX-OS represents a unique foundation for our customers that are breaking down the barriers between telecom and web communications for seamless voice and video service delivery, regardless of the network or communications device,” said Amit Agarwal, vice president and general manager, Software and Solutions, Radisys. “MPX-OS based solutions are deployed today as the foundation for media processing in VoLTE, RCS and OTT services, including serving as a bridge across those network domains to enable much broader service reach and stickiness.”
Radisys’ MPX-12000 Broadband Media Processing platform, which is based on the company’s 40G ATCA open platform technologies, is specifically designed to provide mobile and IMS network operators the capacities, capabilities and reliability essential for monetizing real-time wireless broadband communications, including mobile video and voice over LTE (VoLTE). Specifically, the platform offers huge scalability in performing the Multimedia Resource Function (MRF) in LTE IMS networks.